Many times when I group up in World of Warcraft, and when I have in other games, some people will RAGE about DPS. I understand good DPS is important to meet the goal of the instance or task at hand, but some people take it way too seriously to the point they will rage upon the player and sometimes even resort to bullying. Some people take it so seriously they act and preach as if your DPS isn’t the best of the best, then you have no right to play..
A person’s DPS could be low for a number of reasons. Many people fail miserably at thinking of even one of them and just have a DPS rage fit.
1. Assisting in heals. Typically the healer prioritizes the tank for heals since he protects the group from damage and keeps control over the mobs. For instance if I notice multiple people getting low on health I will spot heal a little bit to insure survival of the group. My DPS is lower, but it helps the group (2-4 others) survive. My little DPS for the combined DPS of the group. Fair trade if you ask me.
2. Tank assisting. If my health is good, but the tank is taking too much damage someone could temporarily take all the damage to give the actually tank a chance to regain some health. Sometimes this can be what saves a group from a wipe.
3. Keeping adds busy. Running around keeping them distracted and occasionally using attacks to freeze or stop them in their tracks.
4. Providing group support. For example. If your class provides you with a few buffs to buff up others, shield other group members so they take less damage and help heal here and there. Keeping the high DPS members alive for the group is more effective. Sacrifice your DPS for the overall DPS for the group. Fair trade.
5. Debuffing. Keeping the enemy debuffed.
6. Insuring more efficient battle. A combination of things mentioned above and below.
7. Crowd control: Nuff said.
Point is DPS can be low for a number of reasons. Yes it’s important, but raging over low DPS is not only pointless, but rather immature. Be helpful not hurtful. If you try to give someone pointers to improve their DPS, don’t approach them with an attitude. If you do then you can’t blame them for not listening. If you approach the person politely and they respond rudely then let them be. Then it’s on them. If you reply back rudely to their rudeness, you’re just stooping to their level.
As long as the overall DPS is alright, personally I’m fine. I don’t and I won’t ever rage about DPS. Games are meant to be fun, not treated like a 40 hour work week job. Point is enjoy the game. Be helpful, not hurtful. Be a good sport. Show understanding. Be the better person.